Video Games, Business, And Your Opinions

jbegaurand

Post#1 » 04 Oct 2016 19:32

Hi, everyone! I have been pretty absent on Haven Station, so I feel it's about time I should actually post something!

So for the past year and a half I have been going to garage sales and getting video games for cheap, and then I've been selling them for a profit at flea markets. When I first started doing this, I wasn't the best; my negotiating skills were not very good, and I lacked the dedication that I currently have. Since then I have expanded into newer and retro video games, action figures, movies, music, and game systems. I probably spend at least 5 hours a week just going to garage sales, looking for items to buy and sell, plus a lot more time organizing items, testing games, and getting my name out.

It seems however that the gaming community is hesitant about people like me who re-sell games, mainly through the bad apples who price stuff way too high. So I was wondering what you guys thought about people re-selling games. I know some people get angry when someone makes money off of the hobby they enjoy so much. And of course, I get mad when people who don't know games re-sell them, since I play video games every once in a while (jk I play too many games...). Do you feel that re-sellers are ruining or helping the gaming community? Personally I think people like me help the community since, the way I see it, I am getting games that would otherwise go into the garbage or a high-priced retro game store, and then selling them for prices that both the consumer and I are happy with. Really though, I want to know what you guys think so I can make my business better for people like you who just want to have fun playing video games.

Oh, and on to the business side of things, I have been having a lot of fun running it. I don't have a storefront yet, but once I do, I want to make it a very social experience where people can come into my store to play games and socialize. Currently though, the cost of business is low since I can get stuff for low prices and it's cheap to rent a space at a flea market. I need to say that this is much better than working at McDonald's for minimum wage. I have enough to support my personal gaming addiction so that of course is good! Plus I'm my own boss, so I don't need to worry about corporate overlords. I would heavily recommend starting your own way of making a bit of money as a teenager. It's tough to get a nice job when you're a teenager like myself; you might spend more time working, but if you pick something you like, you will have a lot of fun making a enough to buy more video games!

So, if you guys have any questions and opinions, please let me know! I really want to here your opinions on how I could make my business better. And if you have somehow become inspired to not work at McDonald's, let me know and I would be happy to help you out! Now that I near the end of writing this, I just want to say this is NOT one long advertisement to buy stuff from me! This is mainly me writing to myself and letting you guys know you don't need to work at McDonald's as a teen. Thanks for reading!

smartdevon

Post#2 » 04 Oct 2016 23:32

I think resellers are alright if they make it easier for me to get the game/stem I want. Speaking of which do you have any systems you wanna send me? If your within an hour of dallas Ill come pick it up.... I been lookin for a ps4/xbox360
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09

Invictus Maneo

Post#3 » 05 Oct 2016 12:54

I'm a steam trader! I work with (CSGO) skins, cards and games to trade for other types of steam items. With keys you can acquire games for cheaper than sale price but a 7-day restriction means most of us have skins in stock to exchange for keys or games directly. The money comes from PayPal sales, with skins being the most popular because of our knives (Thousands of dollars in value). Perfectly legit tactic to me.

Edit- Note not exactly on topic but reminded me of my own things, I think it would be cool if you got something small going. Resellers are good when they're fair without the intent to scam.
Bresn. Fantasy and Sci-Fi worldbuilder- Arcturus & Astraeus; the twin realms, The Shocktheur Rebellion; rise of the titans.

jbegaurand

Post#4 » 05 Oct 2016 18:47

smartdevon wrote:I think resellers are alright if they make it easier for me to get the game/stem I want. Speaking of which do you have any systems you wanna send me? If your within an hour of dallas Ill come pick it up.... I been lookin for a ps4/xbox360

I am just 5 or so states away from Texas, but I do have a 4 gig 360 that I would be fine parting with. Message me if you would want to do some sort of deal, maybe even a trade for older video game items. I have a bunch of 360 games as well so let me know.

jbegaurand

Post#5 » 05 Oct 2016 18:54

Invictus Maneo wrote:I'm a steam trader! I work with (CSGO) skins, cards and games to trade for other types of steam items. With keys you can acquire games for cheaper than sale price but a 7-day restriction means most of us have skins in stock to exchange for keys or games directly. The money comes from PayPal sales, with skins being the most popular because of our knives (Thousands of dollars in value). Perfectly legit tactic to me.

Edit- Note not exactly on topic but reminded me of my own things, I think it would be cool if you got something small going. Resellers are good when they're fair without the intent to scam.

I never knew there was a market for CSGO skins. That actually sounds like a pretty cool way to get some steam games. I really want to get something like a small storefront up and running, but even now I am doing fine with flea markets. Also, when it comes to pricing, I usually look at the eBay completed listings and then go down depending on how popular a game is.

smartdevon

Post#6 » 05 Oct 2016 19:09

jbegaurand wrote:
smartdevon wrote:I think resellers are alright if they make it easier for me to get the game/stem I want. Speaking of which do you have any systems you wanna send me? If your within an hour of dallas Ill come pick it up.... I been lookin for a ps4/xbox360

I am just 5 or so states away from Texas, but I do have a 4 gig 360 that I would be fine parting with. Message me if you would want to do some sort of deal, maybe even a trade for older video game items. I have a bunch of 360 games as well so let me know.

I love trading! I never feel at a loss like I do when working with money. And I might have some items worth your time. Ill pm youbright away.
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09