The Witch Trials

Poll: Are you ready to solve a new mystery?

Poll ended at 29 Oct 2017 05:03

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Yes but no witches
No votes
Total votes: 0

smartdevon

The Witch Trials

Post#1 » 28 Jan 2017 14:56

The setting is a late 17th century town of nonspecific location. Witches have plagued this town for three and a half decades now, so volunteers take turns on night watch, to keep an eye out for any criminal, or magical, activity. In this town, known as Brookfield, being a witch is a crime. All witches should be sentenced to death by fire. That's why everyone is on alert when Elliot Knight was murdered, seemingly by witchcraft.

Hey guys, this idea's been bouncing around my head for a while, and I think I'm gonna try to go through with it. The focus of this role-play is Mystery.
[+] Case 1
You were all part of the night-watch at 11:00 at night under the full moon when Martha Baker, a local hen herder, rushed to you to report that, after a crack of lightning, she found the rich Elliot Knight, shirtless and barefoot, dead in her backyard near the chicken coop. When you arrived at the scene of the crime you find Martha's neighbor, Roger Fisher, a goat herder who lives next door, inspecting the scene. He tells you he was putting his dog in the shed for the night when he heard a girl's voice shout "Thundurous!" At that moment, lightning struck the property, and Roger rushed to help. Upon arrival, Roger claims he saw Martha fleeing the scene, and Elliot Knight, dead, burnt, barefoot, and shirtless, lying on a burnt spot on the ground. Surely, this was an act of witchcraft.
[+] Case 2
Its been four months since Lily Baker was convicted for being a witch. Since then shes been placed on permanent probation, and has had a close eye kept on her. Tonight is 9:30, April second, and everyone in town is gathered in the town common (which is a park) with the astronomer, Dr. Chambers, to see the blood moon. The blood moon will be it's largest in twelve minutes. The town waits in anticipation for the rare sight, but just when the blood moon reaches its peak, an emergency flare is set up from elsewhere in town.
When they arrived on the scene the townspeople were met with a bloody sight. It was right in front of the courthouse by the fountain. Two people were laying on the ground. "Gadzooks!" The astronomer exclaimed. The bodies were a woman in civilian clothes and a young man finely dressed in a suit, a dress shirt, slacks, and a scabbard to his belt. A trilby hat lay a foot from his head. Both victim's were bleeding, and their body's were dry and shriveled, like mummies freshly unwrapped. Zanneth, a hunter who gave a breif testimony during Roger Bakers witch trial, was on the scene, his hands bloody.
Your goal is to examine the clues and evidence found at the crime scene, and convict the witch who slew Elliot Knight. Once you believe you've discovered the witch, you can accuse them, and take them to the witch's court, where they'll plead their case. Ace attorney style, you'll be able to interrogate witnesses, and discover the truth. Perhaps you'll put the witch into the fire, or perhaps you'll defend an innocent soul, protecting them from the flames.

This role-play will run on a success/fail system for certain actions, namely, investigation. You choose what to investigate,
Ex: "I examine the tree" or "I scan the crime scene for any obvious clues" and I'll tell you what you find. This will unveil critical clues to discovering the truth.

Submit your applications below, once we have 3 or 4 participants, we will begin, however, there's no limit to how many people can play.

Application:
Name:
Occupation: (this could potentially give you clues as to what really happened. Are you the owner of the local sweet shop? Are you a traveling merchant? Are you the banker?)
Appearance:
Personality:
Fears and Weaknesses: (perfect characters are boring, make someone really fun and creative)
Hobbies:
Relationships: (who do you know? Who do you like? I'm very flexible with what characters you know, and this could provide you with knowledge that'll help you unveil the truth. Are you Elliot Knight's maid? You might know what he was doing the day before the crime. Are you Martha's sister? You'll know what she's like. Do you know another player?)

Rules:
No knock off characters, you can play on stereotypes, but don't be Larry Notter, whose parents died when he was a kid, killed by an evil warlock.

No meta-gaming, this is EXTREMELY important for obvious reasons. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll discover the evidence before long.

No quarreling. I'm not your nanny. Grow a spine and role-play with your gerbil until you learn to play with people.

Crime scene sketches:
ImageImage
Map of the town:

Court Record:

Evidence:

Bloody rapier: found at the crime scene, no usable fingerprints were able to be taken from it due to an unfortunate accident shortly after the crime was discovered. The front half of the blade was covered in blood. The blade is made of silver. It apparently belongs to Duke Young.

Matches: found in Duke's coat pocket

Flintlock Pistol: found in Duke's coat pocket

Musket balls: found in Duke's coat pocket, they also appear to be made of silver

Sapphire Necklace: found in Duke's coat pocket,

Unused Flares: found in Duke's coat pocket

head of garlic: found in duke's coat pocket

uneaten piece of chocolate: found in duke's coat pocket

burnt flare: found at the crime scene, it's probably the emergency flare that was sent up

Sketch of the crime scene: seen below

Profiles:

Zanneth: he was found at the crime scene before anyone else. He's a hunter who testified about the existence of werewolves during Roger Fisher's witch trial.

Duke Young: survivor of the crime. His body was shriveled and dry. there was blood on both hands and ash on his right hand. He claims that he doesn't know why his rapier was covered in blood. He moved into Elliot's mansion, as per elliot's will.
[+] Picture of Duke
Victim Girl: She's the victim of the crime. her body was covered in blood. she was wearing civilian clothes of good quality.

Charlotte Spring: She was Elliot Knight's old maid. Now she serves Duke Young.
Last edited by smartdevon on 31 Jul 2018 22:27, edited 20 times in total.
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09

AceOfDeath Piplupm

The Witch Trials

Post#2 » 28 Jan 2017 15:28

Name: Philip Gordon
Occupation: (this could potentially give you clues as to what really happened. Are you the owner of the local sweet shop? Are you a traveling merchant? Are you the banker?) Detective
Appearance: white skin, brown eyes, and brown hair. Wears a black trenchcoat and fedora (not a trillby, an ACTUAL fedora), with a pair of black pants and a black shirt underneath.
Personality: Philip is a serious man. He's kind of like a noir detective.
Fears and Weaknesses: (perfect characters are boring, make someone really fun and creative) He fears spiders. Like, a lot.
Hobbies: in his downtime, Philip writes up his cases as if they were a story.
Relationships: (who do you know? Who do you like? I'm very flexible with what characters you know, and this could provide you with knowledge that'll help you unveil the truth. Are you Elliot Knight's maid? You might know what he was doing the day before the crime. Are you Martha's sister? You'll know what she's like. Do you know another player?) Philip has contacts throughout the whole town. Most of them are in the shadier businesses though.
"Everyone is searching for a world where they belong. A place of light, free of falsehood. We are on a never ending journey to reach that world." -Tsukasa Kadoya

smartdevon

The Witch Trials

Post#3 » 28 Jan 2017 15:54

Cool character! Your accepted. Ill PM you things only philip knows
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09

HunterOfEvil

The Witch Trials

Post#4 » 28 Jan 2017 16:02

Name: Noel Elrin
Appearance:
[+] Noel
Also sometimes wears a white bandanna, either around her neck or over her hair.
Personality: Noel is generally very kind and cooperative, and tends to be rather loyal. Usually she does what she is asked without question, but tries to stick to her own morals if she can, as well. She is very optimistic and cheerful, but can be rather secretive at times. She's always happy to help when she's needed.
Fears and Weaknesses: Noel is terrified of her master, the head knight. She also hates campfires and isn't a huge fan of bears and crows.
Hobbies: Cooking, sewing, reading, the likes. Usually doesn't have too much time to herself however.
Relationships: Works for Sir Kargife. Has a small crush on the baker's son. Daughter of the local seamstress and a soldier away at war. Has a younger brother who likes to help the stable boys with their work, but is too young to hold a job.
[+] Brother Kevin
I am not brave, I am only just, for fear knows no man's name better than the one called "fearless", but there is no fear in love.

Hunt evil, Kill beasts, Slay darkness, and SURVIVE!

Deviant Art: http://thehunterofevil.deviantart.com/

smartdevon

The Witch Trials

Post#5 » 28 Jan 2017 16:27

Accepted! Ill PM you with infor only Noel knows

Fireally

The Witch Trials

Post#6 » 28 Jan 2017 19:03

Name: Hobo Joe
Appearance: Some white hair mixed with auburn (between ginger and brown leaning to the brown side), short and bristly beard, managed to get a ponytail. He has a jacket and worn pants with boots and has a pretty cool bandana, almost as if he was once a pirate. All his clothes are brownish hues, except the bandana that's black.
Personality: Likes to talk to people, but not about himself and likes to be helpful when he can
Fears and Weaknesses: People finding out who he is. He's just called "Hobo Joe" and doesn't like letting people down
Hobbies: Talking to people passing by, observing, giving advice and helping out and carving wood
Relationships: He knows everyone to some degree. It's hard to pass through town without having him talk to you some.
Fireally's YouTube channel: http://www.YouTube.com/c/FireallyXela

smartdevon

The Witch Trials

Post#7 » 28 Jan 2017 20:28

Accepted. Ill PM you with information only Hobo Joe knows

leniphant

The Witch Trials

Post#8 » 28 Jan 2017 20:56

Name: Daisy Sweets

Occupation: Baker; she and her husband own a bakery, he specializes in breads and other basic stuff while she specializes in pastries, cakes, and other sweet baked goods.

Appearance: She is a plump, rosy-cheeked woman with hazel-green eyes and light brown hair, though a few strands of grey are hidden throughout. Her hair is long but almost always tied up in a messy bun covered in a white bonnet, though strands are constantly escaping. She wears a short-sleeved flower-patterned dress with a white apron over it and comfortable slippers. Her hands and forearms are almost always covered in flour.

Personality: Cheery, mom-like, values her family above most everything, can be very strict and protective

Fears and Weaknesses: Her greatest fear is something bad happening to her husband and/or son. She is not very athletic (though she has quite a bit of upper body strength from kneading the dough so much) and is not very learned (but she is literate and knows basic math). Her job keeps her at the bakery for most of the day so she gets most of her information from gossip from customers. She hates fish and cannot swim.

Hobbies: Baking, gardening (flowers mostly, but some herbs and veggies), singing, milking (they have three cows), spending time with her family

Relationships: She is good friends with most of the wives in the town and acquaintances with almost everyone else, no matter the class. Her pastries are the best in the town, thus many come to the bakery. She is married to Lance Sweets and has a son named Jacob and a two younger daughters (12 and 7) named Vanessa (aka Nessie) and Lizabeth.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J. R. R. Tolkien

smartdevon

The Witch Trials

Post#9 » 28 Jan 2017 21:00

Accepted! Ill PM you imformation only Daisy knows. Once I do, we'll begin.

WischMeLuck

The Witch Trials

Post#10 » 28 Jan 2017 21:10

Hold up! I'm coming.

Name: Elizabeth Sorfield
Appearance: Fair skinned with long wavy blonde hair and green eyes. Slightly taller than average. Wears ornate clothes and jewelry, and always looks put-together and stylish.
Personality: Very polite and well-mannered. Often seems pretentious to the lower class, but respectful and deferential to those above her. She tends to be generous towards those in her service. She is a loyal friend and is very capable of controlling her emotions.
Fears and Weaknesses: Often has trouble relating and working with those of lower social standing and tends to act in order to further her own wealth or standing. She has an aversion towards manual labor.
Hobbies: Reading, fencing, shopping, and hosting wealthy guests
Relationships: She was a friend and ally of Elliot Knight. She also has contacts and allies among the upper class and is well known throughout town, even if she doesn’t know everyone.