Pathfinder: A Branch into New Territory (Startup)

HunterOfEvil

Pathfinder: A Branch into New Territory (Startup)

Post#1 » 21 Jul 2017 18:39

Pathfinder: A Branch Into New Territory

Are you up to the challenge?
Pathfinder is a magical, diverse, medieval fantasy world run by a huge cast of races and classes. The possibilities for change and adventure are endless, and the stakes are high and dangerous. The thrill of adventure surrounds you in this fascinating universe, and there is always room to learn more than you did before. Today you face a journey unlike anything you’ve ever seen, with characters unlike any you’ve ever met, and a story unlike any you’ve ever heard. The road will be treacherous and intense, but with it comes the reward of riches, glory, title, and, of course, an ever growing bond of companionship between your party members.
[Pathfinder is a tabletop rpg rule system branched from the original creators of the all-popular Dungeons and Dragons. It is stemmed from DnD 3.5e.]

Your first adventure:
An unnamed siege castle has stood in the Cairnlands for hundreds if not thousands of years, magically sealed after the death of its forgotten master. But recently, a minor earthquake rocked the land, accomplishing in moments what dozens of scholars, sages, and adventurers could not achieve in years—the quake caused part of the siege castle to collapse, opening its interior for the first time in centuries. The locals now call this tower the Fallen Fortress.
You are in Absalom, the mighty City at the Center of the World, and you’ve had your eyes on one of the countless ruins of failed conquerors that litter the plains outside the city’s walls. You’ve heard rumors that one of the sealed siege castles has been laid open by a minor earthquake. Word on the street is that no one has yet entered the tower, which folks are calling the “Fallen Fortress.” What better way to start a life of excitement and adventure than by exploring its long-abandoned, dusty halls and perhaps claiming its ancient treasures?

Please Read!
[+] Disclaimers and Rules
This roleplay may require lots of reading, writing, or research.
This roleplay may require more activity or more frequent posting.
This roleplay will rely heavily on luck and the rolling of lots of dice.
This roleplay may be very high-stakes. The possibility of death is very real.
If you tend to disappear for days on end, if you don’t like high stakes, or if you don’t like lots of detail and reading, this roleplay may not be for you. You have been warned.

Rules:
1) I am the GM and my word is final.
I am always open to requests and suggestions, but remember that as gamemaster I have the final say in what happens.
2) Honor the dice.
The real game-changers are determined by the dice rolls. I will be allowing you to roll your own dice, as long as you share your final roll and you are honorable in sticking to the rules. All I ask is that you stick to your initial roll, and don’t be the person who rerolls twenty times until you deal max-damage.
3) Metagaming is frowned upon.
I will be keeping player-specific details in private messages or in spoilers. If you somehow find something out that your character shouldn’t know, please do not act on it. This includes actions in battle, exploiting weaknesses of monsters your character has never faced, because you the player have done research outside of the game. This is the opposite of honorable.
4) You have one character that is your own.
You may have one character and one character only, no exceptions. If you would like to create or talk to an NPC, you may do so by approaching other characters in-game or speaking to me privately. I will be controlling the NPCs, but I will be lenient if you have created NPCs connected to your character or your character’s backstory.
5) Actions have consequences.
Just like real life, everything happens for a reason. Don’t get angry if the trap you triggered blinds you for a round, or if the boss deals a critical hit. Also remember that often times bad things happen because of a dice roll.
6) Communication is key.
I love taking requests and playing to your interests. If you have questions, ideas, suggestions, or concerns, let me know. I will be as flexible and lenient as I possibly can to be sure you get everything you want from this game. This game is as much for you as it is for me, so don’t be afraid to bring things to my attention. I treasure that sort of thing.
7) Have fun!
I love seeing things you create and watching you be clever. Just like any other roleplay, you are free to act as you choose. Don’t restrain being weird or different (as long as it is within the basic rules).

[+] How to Play
I will be updating this section as we go along. When we reach a point with a new mechanic, I will explain the new mechanic in my post and will add it here. For now, we will begin with your usual roleplay story style, and I will tell you when certain mechanics are to be used. Please PM me with any questions.
Rolling Skill Checks:
Most skill checks are verses a secret DC, or Difficulty Class, and if you match or pass the DC, you succeed. A skill check involves rolling 1d20, or one roll of a twenty-sided dice, and adding your skill modifier found on the skill list on your character sheet.
A "natural 20", or rolling a 20 on the d20, is a critical success, or automatic success, and you achieve perfectly your attempted skill. A "natural 1" or rolling a 1 on the d20, is a critical fail, or automatic fail, and you fail the attempted skill regardless of what you could add to the roll. Some skill checks versus other players or NPCs do not have a DC. Instead, they roll against each other, each making skill checks to counter the other's. Stealth, sleight of hand, deception, and other checks can be versus another's perception.
(Dis)Advantage:
Sometimes, circumstances will give you advantage or disadvantage on a skill check roll.
You can only have this if you have something that specifically states that it gives you (dis)advantage, or if I otherwise state so.
This is shown by rolling your d20 twice and taking the higher (advantage) or lower (disadvantage) of the two.
Saving Throws:
In order to resist effects or conditions, you can make an appropriate saving throw versus a DC (difficulty class), similar to a skill check. A Fortitude save depends on your constitution, and resists effects like poison or being cold. A Reflex save is based on dexterity, and resists effects like restraint or dodges fire and lightning. A Will save is dependent on your wisdom, and resists effects like fear or mind control. To make a saving throw, roll a d20 and add the total modifier listed on your character sheet.
Conditions:
Sometimes, failing a saving throw will inflict you with a condition. Conditions are modifiers to your current circumstance that persist for a duration or until you succeed the proper saving throw. There are lots of different kinds of conditions, which can be found here: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions/
Critical Hits
The default for criticals is "20/x2", mean when you roll on natural 20, or rolling a 20 on the d20 without adding or subtracting anything, you automatically hit and double the damage dealt. Some weapons allow you to crit on lower numbers, like a natural 19 or 18. See Grozdan as an example; his crossbow information states that he makes a critical hit on a 19 and a 20, so when he rolled a 19 on his recent attack, he dealt a critical hit.
In addition, though this is very rare, some weapons allow you to triple or even quadrupal the damage output on a critical hit.
Your weapon's criticals are shown in the section of your weapon's descrition labled "critical" or "crit". If it only reads "x2", then you have the default "roll a natural 20 and double your damage". If it reads "19-20/x2", then you can roll either a natural 19 or 20 to double your damage, and so on.
This differs for each weapon. If you aren't sure whether or not you have a special critical, assume you have the default.

[+] Discord and Getting Help
I have created a Discord chat for character creation and help from myself and other players. In addition, you can always message me here on Haven Station or in Discord if you have a question or request. I am always open to hearing from players.
Discord Pathfinder chatroom: https://discord.gg/CUBpwc4

Character Creation:
Due to the nature of the detailed and complicated Pathfinder characters, I am offering plenty of options for character creation. Note that everyone starts at level 1.
Important Details -
We will be using the ability score “point-buy” method, with the High Fantasy campaign type. You have 20 “points” to spend at level 1 to buy the ability scores you want. The chart with the ability score costs are on the character creation outline link listed below.
You begin with a number of skill ranks to put into your skills, which are listed on the full character sheet. The number of ranks you have is determined by your class and Intelligence modifier, and they can be placed in any skill to improve your rolls for those checks. You also get bonuses to class skills, which will add a +3 to the listed skills.

Create your own - If you want to do the details yourself, here is the character sheet I will be using and request that you fill out if you want to do it yourself. I reserve the right to make changes if absolutely needed, but I will always alert you when doing so.
http://www.commonroomgames.com/PF_char_ ... _6_pgs.pdf

Create your own - recommended - If you would like me to fill in the stat sheet for you, here is a basic app so you can still control the personal details.
[+] App
Name:
Race: If you would like to pick a race other than a core race, please ask me first.
Class: I am allowing use of core and base classes. If you would like to use a class other than those, please ask me first.
Alignment: Only good and neutral alignments. No evil PCs please.
Languages: Your character automatically knows Common, and any other languages listed for your race and intelligence level.
Skills: List here the classes you would like to put ranks in. The number of ranks you have available at first level are listed with your class description. You can also list your class skills here as well.
Ability Scores: Str: Dex: Con: Int: Wis: Cha:
Feats: You start with at least one feat. Your class description should explain more about what kind of feats and if you have more that one at level 1.
Traits/Features: Some races and classes have special abilities specific to them. Please list them here.
Armor/Weapons/Gear: Everyone starts out with a weapon or some other kind of gear at level 1, depending on the class. Not all classes use armor or melee weapons. Your class description has more information. List your starting gear here.
Proficiencies: Every class is proficient in certain things. These should be listed in your class description. List them here.
Spells: If your class can cast spells, list your starting spells here. If not, leave this field blank.
Other: Important information not listed above.
Optional Details: These are more for you than for me, important to knowing your character better. Fill them out as you please.
Physical description:
Personality description:
Background:
Deity: If your character worships a god, list the god here.
Other: Any other interesting information not listed above.

Request a character - recommended - If you are intimidated by the character sheets, I can create a character for you based on your race and class. You can use the app list above for other specific details.
Premade character - If you would like to leave the character creation up to me, or even better, up to the roll of a dice, you may specify this option and I can send you a list of characters in a PM and you may pick from a list.

[+] Character Creation References
Please use these to learn about races, classes, and other things available for you to use. It is important to be familiar with your character’s abilities. You can also use these references to learn about the game itself, though some aspects will be changed to fit this platform.
Official Pathfinder Database: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
Official Character Creation Outline: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability- ... r-creation
Helpful Youtube Channels/Videos:
Class walkthrough playlist -- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zvtLAOxr4S
Character Creation Walkthrough -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrzuOu61gc

Current Players:
The list of current players, characters, and character statuses will be here. This will be updated as players come and go, and as characters live and die. You may join after the game has begun as long as you send me your character sheet/app and await my approval (as in any roleplay).

ALIVE: 7
Breck- Dwarven Cleric LV-1 - played by Astriani
Clement - Human Sorcerer LV-1 - played by laixlegoman
Fallow - Ratfolk Monk LV-1 - played by THE_BUTLER00
Kinzo - Human Alchemist LV-1 - played by Fireally
Grozdan - Gnome Bard LV-1 - played by Oranje Maan
Zephyr - Half-Elf Ranger LV-1 - played by smartdevon
Pheonix - Halfling Rogue LV-1 - played by SlayerOfNight

Once again, any questions can be sent to me through a PM here on Haven Station, through a chat on Discord, or sent to the Discord Pathfinder chat. I will answer as fast as I can. Thank you!
Last edited by HunterOfEvil on 16 Aug 2017 17:17, edited 14 times in total.
I am not brave, I am only just, for fear knows no man's name better than the one called "fearless", but there is no fear in love.

Hunt evil, Kill beasts, Slay darkness, and SURVIVE!

Deviant Art: http://thehunterofevil.deviantart.com/

Fireally

Pathfinder: A Branch into New Territory (Interest Check)

Post#2 » 21 Jul 2017 19:04

How are we doing this? Roll20 (my preference), Skype (The Demon of Internet Calls, ime), Chat, RP forum, other?

How is Pathfinder different from D&D, or Star Frontiers?

How will we schedule everything? Traditional RPGs tend to need physical presence.

Another problem: My desk does not have the space for dice, so would you be ok with me using Roll20 to roll? (Unless the answer to question 1 will let me do so electronically as well.)
Fireally's YouTube channel: http://www.YouTube.com/c/FireallyXela

HunterOfEvil

Post#3 » 21 Jul 2017 19:22

I was thinking of running this not unlike Xanny's roleplays, but following a traditional set of rules. Unless preferred otherwise, I was intending to run it here on Haven Station, without relying on scheduling.
Pathfinder was created by the same people that created DnD. It is extremely similar in that sense, if not a tad bit more detailed. One could almost call Pathfinder another edition of Dungeons and Dragons, like a second DnD 3.5e.
Dice rolls can be electronic or hand-rolled. So far, my only requirement is that you specify and roll a check within the post you make the action so we don't spend too much time waiting for someone to get online to share their dice roll.
Basic example:
Fireally: As we walk, I would like to make a perception check to see if there are any wolves in the area. Final roll: 17
Me: *explains what you see*

I may or may not ask that you show your math to further enforce the legitimacy your roll and to be sure you're following the rules, since it won't be live. Something like:
Perception check: 13 (1d20) + 2 (Wis.mod) + 2 (prof.bonus) = 17
But I trust you guys enough that I don't think that will be necessary.
I am not brave, I am only just, for fear knows no man's name better than the one called "fearless", but there is no fear in love.

smartdevon

Post#4 » 21 Jul 2017 19:27

Let my interest show. Now to think of the perfect race and class.

Dragonskin... Yokai... Bear...
Farmer... Cleric... mechanic...
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09

Fireally

Post#5 » 21 Jul 2017 19:56

Ok, this could work out, similar to Roll 2 Dodge, in many ways, but I think I should bring up a few difficulties I've had in past experiences on HavenStation.

Concerns:
But what do we do when we're waiting on someone? My Mystery Dungeon RP was a lot like this in nature and it kind of fell off because it was a real hassle to remember everything that was going on, how many characters I had to roll for, how I would deliver the outcome, and usually I had to go in and out of the dice website several times in one day and struggled to remember who and what did where when and why (especially when things went across days)
Fireally's YouTube channel: http://www.YouTube.com/c/FireallyXela

HunterOfEvil

Post#6 » 21 Jul 2017 20:09

I can implement a rule that if someone is gone for an extended period of time, say 3 days, I will take over their character's actions in the event of a battle (though they cannot drop below 1 HP). Otherwise they become a wallflower and have no effect on the story events, gain no EXP, and cannot die. Longer than that, and their character waits in stasis in the nearest safe place until the player returns.

I'm also notorious among IRL DnD friends for my extensive note taking. Watching everyone's actions and balancing who's doing what will not be a problem for me. I have too much free time on my hands. I also will be using my earlier mentioned equations to remember how I got my numbers, so I don't lose track of what I rolled. I got a system going. ;)

smartdevon

Post#7 » 21 Jul 2017 20:17

Now to put all of my skill points in charisma....
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09

laixlegoman

Post#8 » 21 Jul 2017 22:50

Whoud be nice if this was done through Roll20. I'm not exactly shure that a game like Pathfinder will work in a form page format.
(self proclaimed) master of causing unexpected circumstances.

THE_BUTLER00

Post#9 » 22 Jul 2017 00:23

I would need help with learning how it works, but is sounds fun.
"I am no one's blessing, I'll just bring you harm, I'm a cursed black cat, I'm an albatross, I'm a mirror broken, Sad to say, I'm your bad luck charm." - Bad Luck Charm - Jeff Williams (RWBY Volume 4 Soundtrack)

HunterOfEvil

Post#10 » 22 Jul 2017 00:41

I'd be happy to walk anyone through the process of rolling. The only complication might be combat, but I'm already figuring that out.