Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Verum-Ingenium

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#21 » 05 Aug 2017 13:21

The two soldier up front payed little attention to the four as they took their seats. They were intently manipulating the screen in the from of the shuttle. As they worked the door came down and sealed in place. The air hissed as the cabin pressurized. The lights dimmed and the engine began to softly hum.

“Shuttle 12-A. We are tracking one of the storm's eyes. It looks like it might hit you. Finish take off procedures and report back. Prep for remote take off. Over.” the radio said crackling to life.

“Thank goodness, maybe we'll get off the moon sometime before nightfall,” one of the soldiers said then look back said, “I hope everyone is buckled back there.”

WischMeLuck

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#22 » 05 Aug 2017 14:44

Mina leaned over to pat Flux's shoulder. "That sounds rough. But hey, you're here now and at least your scar is a good icebreaker." She said. She sat back, relaxed and used her fingers to comb through her hair, while the radio crackled to life up front. One of the soldiers reminded them that they should buckle up. Mina, not at all buckled, clicked her tongue. "We'd better get on that." She declared, then buckled the seatbelt-harness-thing. While she waited for take-off, Mina gently struck her heels on the ground, her boots making a steady tap tap noise over the rain.

Verum-Ingenium

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#23 » 09 Aug 2017 01:42

“Starting engines. Shuttle diagnostic check complete. Beginning remote launch”

The lights in the interior of the shuttle blinked off. The only illumination available in the dark compartment was the glow of the monitor and occasional forks of lighting flashing on the other side of the small windows.

The floor began to shake as the craft's repulsion fired up taking the vehicle steadily off the ground.

One of the soldier leaned back in his seat and smiling back at the four in the darkness.

“Best part is we have absolutely no control over this machine, someone else who is safely abort the Transcendence is piloting this vessel. So, if we start plummeting remember there is nothing we can do.”

leniphant

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#24 » 10 Aug 2017 04:03

Leila bit back a snort of laughter as Mina mocked Laros, "Ooooh, an assassin! I'm sooo scared! How am I to deal with such terror?"[/color Luckily, Laros seemed unperturbed even as Mina stuck out her tongue at him. [color=#800080]"I know someone who had a scar like that. It went further up to his eye though. I'm pretty sure he's dead now." Mina added to Leila and Flux. Leila let Flux push her hand away softly as he explained, "Childhood, back on Sem-planet Smiea-T56. Things were rough back then, y'know, fighting for the necessities. I got caught up in the middle of fight, received this lovely mark. It really brings out my eyes, don't cha think? I've tried to make it fade but it seems to like me." Leila giggled and swooned playfully. "That sounds rough. But hey, you're here now and at least your scar is a good icebreaker." Mina patted Flux's shoulder. "Nothing wrong with a good scar, it could even be considered intimidating, which could come in handy." Laros commented and Leila shrugged, "Intimidation is overrated. I prefer to weasel my way into your heart and soul." She finished off with a saucy wink as the radio up front squawked to life. “Shuttle 12-A. We are tracking one of the storm's eyes. It looks like it might hit you. Finish take off procedures and report back. Prep for remote take off. Over.” “Thank goodness, maybe we'll get off the moon sometime before nightfall. I hope everyone is buckled back there.” One of the soldiers called back, and Leila dutifully clicked the belt over her body. "We'd better get on that." Mina reminded everyone, buckling her own before stretching out her legs and tapping her boots against the floor.

“Starting engines. Shuttle diagnostic check complete. Beginning remote launch.” As the lights shut off and the floor began to shake, one of the soldiers leaned over with a mocking grin barely visible in the faint glow of the monitor, “Best part is we have absolutely no control over this machine, someone else who is safely aboard the Transcendence is piloting this vessel. So, if we start plummeting remember there is nothing we can do.” Leila swallowed hard as the craft shook slightly. She much preferred it when she was piloting, not some fancy schmancy tech nerd not even in the shuttle. "There's plenty we can do!" Leila protested loudly, "We can jump out with parachutes, we can override the computer and pilot manually, we can call the current pilot an incompetent, mold-for-brains, scrub..." She threw up her hands in surrender, "Heck we could even toss someone out in the storm as sacrifice for the weather gods to give us safe passage!" Dropping her voice, Leila hissed a whisper to her fellow not-solders. "I volunteer Soldier Slugface as tribute!" She snickered to herself, nudging Mina and Flux in the ribs with her elbows.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J. R. R. Tolkien

Astriani

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#25 » 10 Aug 2017 05:31

Flux snickered at Leila's comment. He was really starting to like this girl. "I don't think the weather gods would appreciate such a measly offering. They tend to like the prettier ones." He stretched his legs out and put his hands behind his head, surprisingly relaxed despite being drafted into this situation.
Let's just all pretend I know what I'm doing, okay?

sammy7575

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#26 » 10 Aug 2017 05:34

Laros

Laros remains standing as the ship begins to take off, one hand on the seat next to him to remain steady. He cant help but smile slightly at Leila's comments. "I don't believe sacrifice will do us any good if no gods exist" he counters to Leila, his green eyes glowing in the darkness of the shuttles cabin.

WischMeLuck

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#27 » 10 Aug 2017 16:53

Mina laughed at Leila's joke, thaough she had to agree with Laros's argument on this one. "Even so, a 'sacrifice' would leave us an extra parachute in case of an emergency. Either way, I'm just hoping it won't come to that. With these idiots though, I wouldn't be surprised." She remarked, with a grin. Despite her care-free demeanor, Mina was gripping the edge of her seat. She hated flying. It was so much easier to just move around without any vehicle to hold her back. Plus, there wasn't anything she could do to control the craft if things went bad.

Verum-Ingenium

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#28 » 11 Aug 2017 02:01

The ship staled for a moment. Hovering in the air. Then a whine started up from the rear engines. The entire ship shook violently. The high pitched noise rose and rose till everyone ears in the ship were ringing from the blinding sound.

Like a bullet from a barrel, the shuttle fired forward. The speed and force of the launch pushing the heads of the individuals aboard back against their chairs. It was like being pinned against a waterfall, chests labored to get a breath against the accelerating forces.

Laros managed to stay standing for a second, but even he couldn't avoid the effects of the jolting take off. He fell back against the shuttle wall, unable to lift himself off of it.

At such high speeds, blood flow is ultimately effected, but just before anyone blacked out. The acceleration stopped. Out of the nearby window one could see the black horizon and the launch pad beneath them grow distant.

"Shuttle 12-A, you have successfully cleared the storm and have entered high atmosphere orbit. We are now guiding you towards your assigned docking on the Transcendence, over."

leniphant

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#29 » 14 Aug 2017 23:46

Leila beamed at Flux's laughter. "I don't think the weather gods would appreciate such a measly offering. They tend to like the prettier ones." He responded and Leila fluffed her hair indignantly, "Well I won't be the sacrifice." "I don't believe sacrifice will do us any good if no gods exist." Laros countered, and Leila was momentarily distracted by his faintly glowing eyes. "Even so, a 'sacrifice' would leave us an extra parachute in case of an emergency. Either way, I'm just hoping it won't come to that. With these idiots though, I wouldn't be surprised." Mina grinned. "Of course gods exist." Leila argued belatedly. Whatever she was going to say next was cut off when the shuttle stalled, its engines whining piteously over the noise of the storm. With a violent wrench of speed, the shuttle pushed itself out of the lower atmosphere, sending Laros flying into the wall. "Shuttle 12-A, you have successfully cleared the storm and have entered high atmosphere orbit. We are now guiding you towards your assigned docking on the Transcendence, over." The radio reported, and Leila let out a whoop. "Oh that was fun, let's do it again! But next time you should strap yourself in Laros." Leila scolded imperiously. "I did warn you."
Not all those who wander are lost. - J. R. R. Tolkien

WischMeLuck

Stories of Rim - Rebirth

Post#30 » 16 Aug 2017 01:53

Mina became very glad for her harness as the shuttle suddenly accelerated. Once it slowed, she noticed Laros had been flung against the wall, and promptly began to laugh. Once she calmed down a bit, she smirked and said, "Very impressive Mr. Assassain. Consider me amazed by your ability to be an idiot." With a haughty flip of her hair, she turned to examine the black horizon and launch pad through the window.