The Grand Tournament (interest check)

Poll: What sounds good? (A = RP style/howitworks, B = Characters used)

A) PVP
33%
A) Storylines using mechanics in combat
50%
A) PVP with storylines
17%
B) Non canonical, use characters from other RPs
No votes
B) Create new characters
No votes
C) I suggested a thing that's most likely better!
No votes
Total votes: 6

WoodGreen

Post#11 » 14 Dec 2017 11:54

Yeah, complete freeform rarely works as one player has to let the other win, no fun. I wasn't thinking of healthbars, but rather a 'prepping' mechanic. I'll demonstrate it when I'm not on a phone.
I'm with stupid
I
V

NitroMiyaz

Post#12 » 15 Dec 2017 22:02

If I’m to suggest something, I’ve done a few role play pvp battles before, and also participated in similar types of role plays here. I can say that almost no one is willing to concede defeat, and losing basically depends on whether one is willing to or not. Unless there is a definite rule where one will be defeated or both parties agree for one to be defeated beforehand, it could go on forever.
However, role plays where people work together have worked. So it’s kinda like Avengers, where they apparently are evenly matched against each other, but when battling together they’re just plain awesome.
And not many seem to like RNG pvp battles either as it appears to restrict creativity.
I personally like the idea of summoning past legendary warriors of an age long ago, however. That could make an interesting storyline. Of course, there’s still the fact that some characters could be insanely overpowered and others underpowered. Different kinds of arenas for different levels of characters could work, but it would still be hard to come to an agreement in who wins a pvp battle.
So, in my personal opinion, roleplays where players work together seem to work far more than roleplays that pit others against each other.
(Of course, a roleplay where past legendary heroes fight past legendary villains is another story. ;) A summoners war like that seems like a great storyline if one is able to figure out how it could work.)
I am the third generation Nitro. Nitro III, to be exact. :ugeek: Personality type: INFJ-A

WoodGreen

Post#13 » 17 Dec 2017 00:22

NitroMiyaz wrote:Qr Bbpost If I’m to suggest something, I’ve done a few role play pvp battles before, and also participated in similar types of role plays here. I can say that almost no one is willing to concede defeat, and losing basically depends on whether one is willing to or not. Unless there is a definite rule where one will be defeated or both parties agree for one to be defeated beforehand, it could go on forever.
However, role plays where people work together have worked. So it’s kinda like Avengers, where they apparently are evenly matched against each other, but when battling together they’re just plain awesome.
And not many seem to like RNG pvp battles either as it appears to restrict creativity.
I personally like the idea of summoning past legendary warriors of an age long ago, however. That could make an interesting storyline. Of course, there’s still the fact that some characters could be insanely overpowered and others underpowered. Different kinds of arenas for different levels of characters could work, but it would still be hard to come to an agreement in who wins a pvp battle.
So, in my personal opinion, roleplays where players work together seem to work far more than roleplays that pit others against each other.
(Of course, a roleplay where past legendary heroes fight past legendary villains is another story. ;) A summoners war like that seems like a great storyline if one is able to figure out how it could work.)

I was considering a lot of these things, and I've only just got around to writing a demonstration fight (which I''ll do in a minute). If anyone has RPed a good villain in the past, send me a PM and maybe we'll incorporate them... :3
I'm with stupid
I
V

WoodGreen

Post#14 » 17 Dec 2017 01:48

Alright, this is how a fight could work mechanically between players. Nothing here is set it stone, it's mainly just an experiment to see what you guys think. Everything in blue during the fight will be OOC, just so I can explain stuff.

Alright, I'm gonna create 2 mini-characters off the top of my head and give them some powers.
Character 1:
Name - Ignis
Abilities: Fire Blast - shoot a jet of flame
Fire Punch - Hit someone... with fire
Firefly - Quickly propel himself with a fire blast over a short distance
Phoenix Rebirth - Recover from all damage taken this fight (cost 1)

Character 2:
Name - Polaris
Abilities:
Glacier - Touch the ground, freezing it in a line in a target direction, icicles bursting up from the frozen ground
Ice wall - I think you can get the idea with this one... no? Well, you know Mei, from overwatch? Yeah, kinda like that.
Snipecicle - Fire a high speed icicle at the opponent.
Cold blooded - Turn to ice, shattering upon impact with the enemy's attack. Next turn, your ice shards will melt and reforge back into you before you can do anything, the opponent get's a free move but can't hit you. (cost 1)

Alright, so, crude characters made, lets put them in a fight.

Polaris and Ignis square up to eachother. FIGHT

Polaris charges forward, his right hand freezing over and extending into an icy sword.
[+] Prep
Glacier[1]

Firstly, excuse my basic writing for this example, I'm not exactly putting my heart and soul into it. Secondly, how come Polaris can do this? This isn't a power he has. No it's not, but it's a free, in-the-moment attack with no cost. It could be anything. The spoiler after his post shows that he has prepared (prepped) his glacier attack for 1 turn. The longer he preps his attack, the more damage it will do. When I last used this system, I think the rules were: 1 prep = minor injury (e.g: bruise/cut) 2 prep = moderate injury (e.g: deep gash) 3 prep = major injury (e.g: broken bone) 4 prep = unable to continue fighting. That's just what was used there, ours may well be different.

Ignis ducked the blow, thrusting a flame punch at Polaris as he was recovering from his swing.
(Fire Blast [1])

I didn't use a spoiler this time, just because it would be annoying to have to open them all. Reading the other player's preps by the way is totally metagaming in my opinion. Also, how come Ignis can just use his fire punch like that? Well, it's just another in-the-moment attack. Only the mentioned abilities can be prepped, just to make sure somebody doesn't prep something overpowered they made up on the fly.

Polaris stumbled back from the blast, raising an ice wall to protect himself.
(Glacier [2])

Ignis launched a fire blast at Polaris, searing straight through his ice wall.
(Used Fire Blast [1])
[+] Prep
Firefly [1]

Woah woah woah, how come Ignis can blast straight through that ice wall? Well, Ignis' fire blast had been prepped for a turn and Polaris' ice wall had been cast instantly. A longer prepped ability trumps a lesser prepped one.
If they'd been the same, they would have cancelled out, which is why Ignis ducked Polaris' attack earlier, and Polaris wasn't hurt by Ignis' insta-cast fire punch. Also, I brought back the spoiler, just to show you that you should tell the opponent when you use a prepped ability, just so they can respond accordingly. Also notice that an ability doesn't gain a prep point on the turn it's used

Polaris was blasted backwards and knocked down. He pulled himself up and dashed forward, launching a shard of ice at Ignis
(Glacier [3])

Ignis shattered the ice with a burning fist, before hurling a fireball at Polaris
(Firefly [2])

Polaris gracefully sidestepped the fireball, and placed one hand on the ground. A sheet of ice shot along the grass towards Ignis, icicles springing up along it.
(Used: Glacier[3])

(Snipecicle [1])

Ignis blasted fire to the left, launching himself to the right. However, the tip of an icicle pierced his ankle.
(Used:Firefly [2])

(Fire Punch [1])
Here's something I'm not sure about, should a higher prepped ability simply trump the lesser ability? Or can the lesser ability soften the blow? (Like the example I used) or have a reduced effect? What do you guys think?

Polaris lunged towards the weakened Ignis, slashing his icy sword.
(Snipecicle [2])

Ignis sidestepped the blow, then burst into flames, the wound on his ankle was woven shut by the fire.
(Used: Phoenix Rebirth)

(Fire Punch [2])

This is just something I threw in to get your opinions on. Powerful, instantly cast abilities with a cost. I gave them a cost in this example, which might be a small point mana pool, or it might be they can only be used once within a certain time period, or fight, or they have to be refreshed with some item or at some location. What do you guys think about that?

And we'll stop the fight here, it was just an experiment. Do tell me what you think, good or bad!
I'm with stupid
I
V

smartdevon

Post#15 » 17 Dec 2017 02:32

I like where ypure going with this, Imo lesser prepped abilities should soften higher prepped ones. other than a level 4 prep attack how else can you lose?
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09

WoodGreen

Post#16 » 17 Dec 2017 02:53

smartdevon wrote:Qr Bbpost I like where ypure going with this, Imo lesser prepped abilities should soften higher prepped ones. other than a level 4 prep attack how else can you lose?

We could have a more complicated system for it, such as prepped abilities dealing their prep number of damage to a health bar. Or just several high-prep hits being enough
I'm with stupid
I
V

smartdevon

Post#17 » 17 Dec 2017 03:22

I like the health bar idea.
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09

WoodGreen

Post#18 » 17 Dec 2017 11:27

smartdevon wrote:Qr Bbpost I like the health bar idea.

I'll mull over the mechanics and storyline a bit more. I have an idea for PVP with a mainly PVE storyline.
I'm with stupid
I
V

smartdevon

Post#19 » 17 Dec 2017 12:20

WoodGreen wrote:Qr Bbpost

I'll mull over the mechanics and storyline a bit more. I have an idea for PVP with a mainly PVE storyline.

I highly reccomend the summoner idea. ;)

WoodGreen

Post#20 » 17 Dec 2017 15:25

smartdevon wrote:Qr Bbpost
WoodGreen wrote:Qr Bbpost

I highly reccomend the summoner idea. ;)

Oh yeah I'm 100% going with that. I'm thinking of something like: Summoners summon their heroes, they must battle to properly sync/bond/whatever together before facing a great evil
I'm with stupid
I
V