When Summoners Call

WoodGreen

When Summoners Call

Post#1 » 18 Jan 2018 22:52

Greetings! This is the result of feedback from The Grand Tournament interest check, creating a smash-brothers type RP where the characters are not new, but heroes from tales of old or still being told. And that's not the only weird thing I always have in this RP to make people question how well I thought it through... but we'll get onto that :3 Expect plenty of combat in the upcoming adventure!

"Our time has come... awaken, Stianakind" An voice echoes on your head as you slowly become conscious. "As was predicted, the day has arrived. A great entity lies just beyond our galaxy, approaching by the minute. It is beyond the power of all others, and therefore lies in our responsibility, bound by the ancient oath we swore."
You feel a strange sensation, not in any part of your body. Of course, you don't have one. Why would you?
"You feel it, don't you?" The voice spoke again. "With this looming darkness comes a spark of hope, the ghost of a world long forgotten where heroes once triumphed. Reach out to it, and it will reach back. Take a single ember from the long extinguished fire and let it ignite an inferno within you. Summon forth a hero of old.

TL;DR: Space ghosts call old characters to fight Sauron or something.
[+] Rules
Normal Haven Station rules apply, who saw that coming?
I have the final say, but if you have a problem with anything (especially the mechanics) don't hesitate to ask me!
No metagaming. This is especially important due to the mechanics which (if you haven't read the combat section yet) allows for PVP! :D
[+] Combat
So, here's the real doozy. There are a few simple (and I do mean simple, you won't have to dedicate time to learning it) mechanics in this RP for combat which allow for PVP (even though the campaign will be focused on PVE) and there will be a short example of combat below. (Technically the whole thing is PVP because all the enemies are created in the same way as characters and I control them all... but whatever.)

Prepping
So Wood! I hear you cry out. I wanna slap my enemy real hard, how do I do it? Well, the harder you want to slap your opponent, the longer you need to prepare your attack for. You and your opponent will take turns to post (duh). Each time you post when in combat you can prep one of your attacks up to a default maximum of 4. When you decide to strike, it will deal that amount of damage to the opponent. You also can't prep an attack on the same turn you use it. Simple, right? Any prepped attack that you haven't defined to do anything special in your app will just deal damage, so you can prep to throw a rock or give someone a wedgie... if you really want. You can also attack without prepping which doesn't stop you prepping another attack. This is more for showing off and keeping the fight going then actually doing anything.

Hit Points and Ability Points
But Wood! I hear you say. The bad guy is slapping me, what happens? And how do I hit him back even harder?
Alright, when you fill out the application you'll have between 1 and 10 points to allocate as your Hit Points (c'mon, you've all played video games. I don't need to explain these) The remainder will become your Ability Points. When you run out of HP, you don't die but become incapacitated until the end of the fight. Afterwards, you can continue with 1HP. Now ability points lets you slap people a little harder. While your prepped attacks will be pretty basic. Dealing damage, defending, healing etc, you can bend the rules with abilities. You could make up your own buff/debuff such as stunning an enemy, summon a minion to fight for you, it's really up to you! They don't have to rely on AP either. Maybe it's on a time cooldown such as once every 3 turns or once per fight. Maybe it relies on an item, or ammunition have a finite amount of. Go nuts! I'll tell you if I think you're abilities are a bit too strong or weak, don't worry. Or maybe I'll just ramp up the difficulty... muahahaha...
If you don't want to bother with creating abilities or stats, I'll happily do them for you.

And that's really it! That wasn't too complicated now, was it? I'll have a sample fight up soon (there's an old version in The Grand Tournament interest check showcasing possible rules, so it's not perfectly accurate but it's close)
[+] Combat Example
Coming soon! Check The Grand Tournament interest check for a slightly outdated example. viewtopic.php?t=542&start=10#p21775
[+] Applications
Remember, your character must have been in a previous RP, whether Haven Station or it's previous homes. They also must be your own character, unless you've gotten permission otherwise. If you fancy playing a villain... drop me a dm :3

Name:
Race/Species:
RP(s) Featured in:

Optional Stuff
Personality:
Original Backstory:
RP Backstory: (you may choose from what time and RP your hero is plucked from)

Stat Stuff!(You have 10 points to divide between HP and AP, I recommend reading the combat section just so you understand how everything works.)
HP:
AP:
Abilities: (If you don't want mess with numbers I'll be more than happy to create/balance abilities for you.)

Example Character (Who I haven't spent much time thinking about balance for, but oh well! Balance doesn't need to be perfect.)
Name: Orion
Appearance: idk
Race/Species: ice man... guy
RP(s) Featured in: n/a

Optional Stuff
Personality: n/a
Original Backstory: n/a
RP Backstory: n/a

Stat Stuff!
HP: 6
AP: 4
Abilities:
Glacial Strike - His sword becomes coated in ice, extending it a few inches before he strikes (this is just for prepping to deal damage)
Ice wall - Blocks incoming damage to a target ally (damage blocked = turns prepped for)
Freeze - Stop an opponent from prepping for a turn (cost = 2AP)
Frostbite - Deals 2 damage to an opponent over 2 turns, starting next turn (cost = 2AP)
Frozen Spear - Turn your free arm to ice and launch at an opponent for 3 Damage. Takes 3 Turns to re-grow passively.
[+] Accepted Characters
Shinsei Shiba/Re;Birth - AceOfDeath Piplupm
HP: 5/5
AP: 5/5
Inventory:
Weapon Lock
Blade Key
Other:

Lily Baker - smartdevon
HP: 3/3
AP: 7/7
Inventory:
Summoning Lock
Vanguard Key
Other:

-AFK-Quip - Fireally viewtopic.php?t=562&start=10#p22617
HP: 6/6
AP: 4/4
Inventory:

Experiment 401 - HunterOfEvil viewtopic.php?f=13&t=562&start=60#p23171
HP: 4/4
AP: 6/6
Inventory:
Lunar Amulet of Convenience
Summoning Lock
Guardian Key
Other:
[+] My Characters
The Archstiana - A blue, spiritual being. The head of a race known as the Stianakind who have the ability to summon heroes to fight their battles.

Jorthin - One of the two gatekeepers. A frail old man who seems to enjoy statue gardens and extended naps. He earned his second title, the stoneweaver, for his creations such as the Vanguards, Guardians and the mighty Titan. He supplied the heroes with summoning locks to aid them on their quest.

Aldernaris - One of the two gatekeepers. You have not met him yet.
[+] Itemlist
I even sorted it alphabetically, aren't I nice?

Blade Key: When used in a weapon wock, a sword is summoned to your hand. The party has not seen it used, so do not know how it works yet.

Guardian Key: When used in a summoning lock, a Guardian is summoned to the fight. A stone knight in full plate armour, wielding a longsword.
6HP 4AP
Cleave – Additionally to prep damage, do 1 non-lethal damage to a second nearby enemy.
Riposte – Deflect a melee attack and deal 1 damage to the attacker (2ap)

Lunar Amulet of Convenience: A modest amulet with a softly glowing blue gem embedded in it. It is linked to the Lunar Pools, allowing newly summoned heroes who missed the start of the campaign to quickly join the group.

Shield Key: Used in a weapon lock, a shield is summoned to your hand. The party has not seen it used, so do not know how it works yet.

Summoning Lock: A padlock made by the stoneweaver, Jorthin. Depending on the key you insert, it summons one of his creations to fight along side you.

Vanguard Key: When used in a summoning lock, a Vanguard is summoned to the fight. A stone soldier clad in chain-mail, wielding a spear and a tower shield.
2HP 8AP (4HP Shield)
Living Stone – Each turn, if damaged but not destroyed, the shield heals fully using 1AP for every HP healed.

Weapon Lock: A padlock made by the stoneweaver, Jorthin. Depending on the key you insert, a weapon or tool is summoned to your hand.
Last edited by WoodGreen on 19 Apr 2018 20:53, edited 17 times in total.
I'm with stupid
I
V

smartdevon

When Summoners Call

Post#2 » 18 Jan 2018 23:12

Name: Lily Baker
[+] Appearance

Race/Species: Human Witch
RP(s) Featured in: The Witch Trials
HP: 3
AP: 7
Abilities:
Paralysis: Prevents enemy from attacking for 2 turns (Cost 2 AP) [4 turn cooldown]
Thunder: Calls down a bolt of lightning to strike an enemy, as powerful as a 3 prepped attack (Cost 3 AP)
Confuse: Cancels enemy's preparation (Cost 1 AP for every prep)

I think I did this right
Last edited by smartdevon on 20 Jan 2018 01:39, edited 5 times in total.
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09

THE_BUTLER00

When Summoners Call

Post#3 » 19 Jan 2018 01:16

OOC: Will there be something like leveling up where they can increase their HP/AP and learn new abilities?
"I am no one's blessing, I'll just bring you harm, I'm a cursed black cat, I'm an albatross, I'm a mirror broken, Sad to say, I'm your bad luck charm." - Bad Luck Charm - Jeff Williams (RWBY Volume 4 Soundtrack)

AceOfDeath Piplupm

When Summoners Call

Post#4 » 19 Jan 2018 01:33

Name: Shinsei Shiba/Re;Birth
Appearance: asain skin, black eyes, black, neck length hair that's parted to the side. Typically wears a snake skin jacket and brown pants, with an orange shirt underneath. (His appearence is based on the actor Hayami Mokomichi)

In his Greeed Form: (image to come)

As Re;Birth (This depends, so I'll just describe all of the alternate forms when they're first used.)
[+] Base form
Race/Species: Greeed (Spelled with 3 E's, not 2) (a race of artifical beings made up of millions of medals known as Cell Medals, and 3 to 10 special medals bearing the images of animals and being colored, known as Core Medals. Shinsei posseses 5 cores based on scaled creatures, specifically a cobra, a turtle, and an alligator)
RP(s) Featured in:
Heroes of Our Time (as of this app's creation, his real name and history had not been revealed yet)

Optional Stuff
Personality: Shinsei is a man who fights for his own amusement. He prefers to work alone, but if forced to work with others, he'll deal with it.
Original Backstory: made 800 or so years ago by alchemists at the order of a king, Shinsei (and his 'sister' Naria, who holds the remaining 5 Orange Core Medals) was put to sleep before the rest of the Greeed were created, deemed as failures. He (and his sister) were awoken in modern day japan by an organization who had sinister plans in mind for the both of them. Going along with it as he found it entertaining, Shinsei was granted the Re;Birth Driver and several recreations of the core medals of the Greeed who came after him. Eventually deciding that the organization no amused him, he betrayed them and took the Driver, recreated Core Medals, and a steel barrel full of Cell Medals with him. He wound up in Brooklyn alongside other people with special abilites.
RP Backstory: (you may choose from what time and RP your hero is plucked from) Plucked a few months after the current HOOT Arc.

Stat Stuff!(You have 10 points to divide between HP and AP, I recommend reading the combat section just so you understand how everything works.)
HP: 5
AP: 5
Abilities: (If you don't want mess with numbers I'll be more than happy to create/balance abilities for you.) Driver transformation: Allows him to equip the Re;Birth armor, a special combat suit that covers the entire body. It requires a single Cell Medal to transform, which is turned into energy to power the suit for the duration of however long he needs it for. After words, it disintegrates. (0 AP, costs 1 cell medal. Add +1 armor)

CLAWs Equipment: Dropping a second Cell Medal into his Driver allows Shinsei to access the Re;Birth CLAWs system, which consists of a drill arm, a crane arm, a pair of wings, a chest cannon, and leg mounted treds. These can usually only be summoned one at a time, but dropped close to a thousand Cell medals into the belt (yes this is possible) allows him to access them all at once. (Costs 1 to 2 AP, depending on if he puts in 1 or 1000 cell medals, which are expended and deemed useless afterwords. 1 cell medal adds +1 to an attack, and 1000 cell medals adds +2 to an attack)

Cell Burst: By dropping another cell medal in after equipping a CLAWs piece, Shinsei can unleash a devasting attack that depends upon the current equipment CLAWs. (1 AP + 1 cell medal. Adds +1 to a prepared attack)

Core Medal Armament: (just gonna put this in a spoiler...)
[+] Explanation
Using matched sets of Core Medals, Shinsei can alter the armor's appearence and abilites drastically. There are 7 possible sets: Red cores (based upon the Hawk, Peacock and Condor) grant him the TaJaDor armament, granting flight and fire attacks (adds +1 to all fire based attacks, gives flight and fire elemental attacks)

Yellow Cores (based on lions, tigers and cheetahs) give him LaToraTah Armament, granting high speed, claws on his arms, and light based attacks (+1 to attacks, and grants light elemental damage)

Green cores (based on a stag beetle, a mantis, and a grasshopper) grant him GataKiriBa Armament, allowing for the ability to multiply up to 3 times, and lightning based attacks, as well as a pair of arm blades and high jumps(+1 to attacks, adds lightning elemental damage and can summon clones. Clones each have 1 HP and 2 AP, but other wise have the same stats as the original)

Blue cores (based on a killer whale, an electric eel, and an octopus) grant him ShaUTa Armament, giving him the ability to breath and move quickly under water, as well as a pair of electric whips (+1 to attacks, as well as water element damage, and the ability to breath underwater)

Grey cores (Based on a rhino, a gorilla and an elephant) grant him the SaGoZo Armament, giving him great strength and defenses, but making him much slower as a result (+2 to attack and +1 armor, but makes him very slow)

The 6th set (which does not have matching colors, but is themed after a Deer, a Gazelle, and a Bull) grants him ShiGazeShi Armament, giving him minor power over nature and horned gauntlets and boots. It also lets him use plants to hold enemies in place, and gives him the ability to transfer some of his own HP to an ally. (grants +1 to attack but -1 to health, and adds nature elemental damage, as well as a health transfer.)
  • Root Grasp: Holds an enemy to their spot for [Prep Number] +2 turns. (So you can use it without prepping to hold for 2 turns, or longer if you prep). Held enemies can't move, but can still attack. Only 1 enemy can be held at a time This makes it excellent for holding back melee-based enemies to be taken down from a distance.
  • Nature's Gift: By giving up some of his HP, Shinsei can heal an ally 2 HP for every 1 he gives up.
The arctic cores (do not have matching colors, but are themed after a walrus, a polar bear, and a penguin) give him the SeiShiroGan Armament, granting ice themed abilities, large claws gauntlets, and resistence to cold. He can also encase himself in ice, completely negating an attack against himself for a single turn, but also taking away his ability to attack for that turn. In addition, he can freeze his enemies for a single turn. (-1 to health and +1 to attack, adds ice damage).
  • Freeze: Encase an enemy in ice, stopping it from prepping, moving or attacking for 3 turns [5 turn cooldown]. The ice gives the target +2 armour. This makes it excellent for stalling or shutting down a dangerous enemy for some time. It's still possible to use this to focus attacks on the frozen enemy, but the icy armour it gains makes it difficult.
He can only assume one of these at a time, and the cores have a cooldown time on them of about 6 rounds each. They cannot be mix and matched, but in exchange they are impossible to break and are not expended when used. (Ap: 2 per combo)
[+] BuraKaWani Core Medal Armament
BuraKaWani Armament: A form that Shinsei calls an absolute last resort because it makes him feel awful and brings back bad memories. It makes use of the Orange Cores (consisting of the Cobra, Kame (turtle) and Wani (crocodile) Core Medals) that essentially serve as the things holding his body together. It arms the Re;Birth suit with a turtle shell shaped shield on each gauntlet, and his legs gain the Saw Deadscythers, large, saw-like attachments that can fold over when he kicks, turning it into a crocodile head shaped kicking weapon. He also gains the Burangi, a flute like weapon that, when played, summons a cobra from his helmet that he can use to attack from a few feet away. It is his most powerful form, but he can only use it for a few rounds before his body starts to break down because his Core Medals were removed from his body.
  • Soma Venom: At the start of every round, Shinsei’s HP is healed by 1 by the special coating of the armor. This is not considered armor points.
  • Gora Gaurder: A pair of turtle shell shaped half shields equipped to the armor’s gauntlets. Putting them together create a turtle shell shaped force field all around his body for 1 round, nullifying all attacks and damage done to him for that round. Unfortunately, he also cannot attack or move for the duration of that round.
  • Capello Brush: Using the Burangi, Shinsei can summon a giant hooded cobra from his helmet, allowing him to attack enemies from a distance for 3 rounds. Enemies hit by the cobra are poisoned. (Poison: The target takes 1 damage a round for the next 3 rounds. This effect cannot take the target below 1hp.)
  • Saw Deadscythers: Shinsei’s kick attacks add a +1 to Damage, as well as causing lacerations.
(Costs 3 AP as opposed to the original 2 AP for all other core armaments, and lasts for about 7 rounds before he has to change back. If he chooses to continue using it past those 7, the effects of Soma Venom are negated, and at the end of each colnbat round, he loses 1-HP.)
Core Burst: only accessible while in a Core Armament, this is more or less the Core medal version of Cell Burst, granting him a devasting attack themed after his current Armament. He is forced out of the Armament after it's use. (1 AP, adds +2 to a prepared attack, and forces him out of the current armament after use)

Greeed form: If he decided using his belt isn't worth it, Shinsei will instead assume his original form, which is much weaker than his armor, but is still a few steps above his human disguise. It gives him scaly armor and a turtle themed shield. (1 AP, adds +1 armor)

He possesses a steel barrel that holds approximately 10,000 Cell Medals, which he carries with him by strapping it to his back. The core medals he possesses are stored inside his body, and can force out so he can use them. (THIS IS PURELY STORY STUFF. I AM NOT KEEPING TRACK OF THEM.)

EDIT: made the wall of text in the Core Armaments sections not a wall of text anymore.
EDIT 2: Changed some things with the Core Armaments, per Woodgreen's suggestion, and also switched out some terms for the ones Woodgreen himself uses.
Last edited by AceOfDeath Piplupm on 02 May 2018 21:36, edited 7 times in total.
"Everyone is searching for a world where they belong. A place of light, free of falsehood. We are on a never ending journey to reach that world." -Tsukasa Kadoya

WoodGreen

When Summoners Call

Post#5 » 19 Jan 2018 07:47

THE_BUTLER00 wrote:Qr Bbpost OOC: Will there be something like leveling up where they can increase their HP/AP and learn new abilities?

Not that I have planned
I'm with stupid
I
V

WoodGreen

When Summoners Call

Post#6 » 19 Jan 2018 08:01

AceOfDeath Piplupm wrote:Qr Bbpost Name: Shinsei Shiba/Re;Birth
Appearance: asain skin, black eyes, black, neck length hair that's parted to the side. Typically wears a snake skin jacket and brown pants, with an orange shirt underneath. (His appearence is based on the actor Hayami Mokomichi)

In his Greeed Form: (image to come)

As Re;Birth (This depends, so I'll just describe all of the alternate forms when they're first used.)
[+] Base form

Race/Species: Greeed (Spelled with 3 E's, not 2) (a race of artifical beings made up of millions of medals known as Cell Medals, and 3 to 10 special medals bearing the images of animals and being colored, known as Core Medals. Shinsei posseses 5 cores based on scaled creatures, specifically a cobra, a turtle, and an alligator)
RP(s) Featured in:
Heroes of Our Time (as of this app's creation, his real name and history had not been revealed yet)

Optional Stuff
Personality: Shinsei is a man who fights for his own amusement. He prefers to work alone, but if forced to work with others, he'll deal with it.
Original Backstory: made 800 or so years ago by alchemists at the order of a king, Shinsei (and his 'sister' Naria, who holds the remaining 5 Orange Core Medals) was put to sleep before the rest of the Greeed were created, deemed as failures. He (and his sister) were awoken in modern day japan by an organization who had sinister plans in mind for the both of them. Going along with it as he found it entertaining, Shinsei was granted the Re;Birth Driver and several recreations of the core medals of the Greeed who came after him. Eventually deciding that the organization no amused him, he betrayed them and took the Driver, recreated Core Medals, and a steel barrel full of Cell Medals with him. He wound up in Brooklyn alongside other people with special abilites.
RP Backstory: (you may choose from what time and RP your hero is plucked from) Plucked a few months after the current HOOT Arc.

Do your abilities have an effect in combat?
I'm with stupid
I
V

AceOfDeath Piplupm

When Summoners Call

Post#7 » 19 Jan 2018 09:08

The armor and it's abilites do, but i feel the limitations I put upon them balance them out. His Greeed form just lets him be slightly more resistant than his human form, which is about as minimally resistant as a human body can be, given he's literally made out of magic medals more or less.
"Everyone is searching for a world where they belong. A place of light, free of falsehood. We are on a never ending journey to reach that world." -Tsukasa Kadoya

WoodGreen

When Summoners Call

Post#8 » 19 Jan 2018 10:31

AceOfDeath Piplupm wrote:Qr Bbpost The armor and it's abilites do, but i feel the limitations I put upon them balance them out. His Greeed form just lets him be slightly more resistant than his human form, which is about as minimally resistant as a human body can be, given he's literally made out of magic medals more or less.

Are there numbers in the app im just missing? Such as the armour adding a few HP that can go over his max, or slight damage reduction, or the amount of damage his core burst and stuff actually does? I may have just missed it
I'm with stupid
I
V

AceOfDeath Piplupm

When Summoners Call

Post#9 » 19 Jan 2018 19:52

WoodGreen wrote:Qr Bbpost
AceOfDeath Piplupm wrote:Qr Bbpost The armor and it's abilites do, but i feel the limitations I put upon them balance them out. His Greeed form just lets him be slightly more resistant than his human form, which is about as minimally resistant as a human body can be, given he's literally made out of magic medals more or less.

Are there numbers in the app im just missing? Such as the armour adding a few HP that can go over his max, or slight damage reduction, or the amount of damage his core burst and stuff actually does? I may have just missed it

I did not have those before, but now they are there.

smartdevon

When Summoners Call

Post#10 » 19 Jan 2018 20:44

Added an image for Lily Baker
Im a writer, and game designer. Follow me on twitter for tweets that have nothing to do with either of those (@ThurgoodDevon): https://twitter.com/ThurgoodDevon?s=09