BOOK CLUB

Everything from dance club to chess club.
SlayerOfNight

BOOK CLUB

Post#1 » 27 Dec 2016 06:18

Hoi! So this is a thread for many purposes. We can reccommend books, give them reviews, ask for book suggestions, or just talk about books in general.
​Be fantastic, Kill walkers, Tame creatures, Allon-sy!
Driver picks the music shotgun shuts his cakehole
What kind of house doesn't have salt? Low sodium freaks. I found a liquor store and I drank it. Am I The only one zen around here? INTJ-T. Slytherin.

Xannytoes

BOOK CLUB

Post#2 » 27 Dec 2016 09:41

Well, I'll kick things off by recommending my favourite book of all time: Battle Royale. It's a story based on 42 classmates, forced to fight to the death, with only one survivor walking away at the end. If you think that sounds similar to Hunger Games, that's because is it, though Battle Royale came out years before Hunger Games. I'll warn you now that this is not a light read. It's a long book, there's tons of characters and there are some truly dark and violent moments. Despite this, it's an incredible read and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

SlayerOfNight

BOOK CLUB

Post#3 » 27 Dec 2016 16:21

Sounds amazing! A book I found at my middle school book fair, the distance between lost and found, is a great book. Though it isn't extensive, it is worth it. I believe the book is around 300 pages or so. It's about three kids who have to survive the wilderness after getting lost at a church camp on a hike. They have to form a friendship to get them through and the main character has to become bold and brave to survive and explain her story and what really happened.
What kind of house doesn't have salt? Low sodium freaks. I found a liquor store and I drank it. Am I The only one zen around here? INTJ-T. Slytherin.

Fireally

BOOK CLUB

Post#4 » 27 Dec 2016 21:22

I'm just going to say anything by Brandon Mull and J Scott Savage are incredible books. You can never really tell what's coming at you and in the case of Savage, you get to piece everything together as the characters are, which makes it a lot of fun! (I mean, that kept GA alive all this time)
Fireally's YouTube channel: http://www.YouTube.com/c/FireallyXela

Probored

BOOK CLUB

Post#5 » 27 Dec 2016 23:08

It may be a comic book but its still one of my favorites:

The Multiversity is a huge graphic novel made by Grant Morrison which is stated to be the ultimate DC Comics book because it centers entirely on all the other earths of the Multiverse from the mainstream Earth. Its really really unaccessible to new readers and like most of Grant Morrison's works can leave your head scratching in confusion. Dont even bother with this book if you dont have encyclopedic knowledge of DC Comics.

The Omega Men is another comic book made by ex-CIA agent turned comic book writer Tom King. It pretty much takes the overseas conflict in the middle east and turns it into a space opera.

I strongly recommend people to buy Omega Men

NitroMiyaz

BOOK CLUB

Post#6 » 01 Jan 2017 05:03

Oh, I'm into many novels. Most notably, Japanese light novels.

Arifureta, Death March, Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken, and a few others I am reading at the moment. These three are my favorites right now though.

Arifureta is about a boy and his class who were transported to another world to fight the Demon Lord. The main character was bullied, and was attacked by one of the bully's and fell to the bottom of a dungeon. However, he survived and vowed to live and escape his hopeless situation. It starts off slow, then gives a major twist after he falls into the abyss. Later on it gets slow again, but after a little while things begin to start back up and become hyped. There are quite a few chapters in this one, along with the other ones I'll talk about.

Death March is about an employee programmer who was mysteriously taken to another world without warning. There are many chapters in this one, and is quite the laid back and overpowered story about a godlike overpowered guy and his nearly hundred-fold harem army traveling the world, with a few incredibly awesome battles against demon lords and some slowly ongoing plot progression. There is a plot, but it's really slow. There are epic showdowns, though they don't happen like every ten chapters. It's more for the people who want a nice calming story. At present, there's a huge battle going on though that seems to be progressing the plot (Finally!).

Slime Datta Ken is another story about a guy dying and being transported into another world. Twist, he's now a slime. Probably my favorite story, this seemingly ordinary slime slowly grows in strength, learning his strengths and weaknesses, and becoming a true powerhouse. The skills he has allows him to slowly but surely gain power rivaling the heavens themselves... Oh, and he also develops a monster nation in the process while keeping good relations with surrounding nations and battling against demon lords and angels. This is a story I highly recommend for its amazing plot with good timing in development, characters that are likable and don't disappear (Yamcha, we'll miss you so...), and a smart lead character who has skills and friends that help him become stronger. This is also action packed.
I am the third generation Nitro. Nitro III, to be exact. :ugeek: Personality type: INFJ-A

redghostboy

BOOK CLUB

Post#7 » 02 Jan 2017 01:01

First off, I'd like to say that this is an excellent idea!

I've been reading the first Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book lately. After having seen the movie about a dozen times, I decided I should read the book. I'm about halfway through and I love it! The whole book is somewhat of a satyr of human existence. It makes fun of how we all know what we can do to be happier, but most of us are too stubborn to do them. It says that because we're unhappy, we're often unkind to other, but if we'd be nicer, there's a good chance we'd be happier.
"One thing led to another, Jarod threw some butter, and now we're in a hot tub eating oatmeal that tastes like a sweaty armpit."
-Me

roterx2

BOOK CLUB

Post#8 » 03 Jan 2017 15:48

redghostboy wrote:First off, I'd like to say that this is an excellent idea!

I've been reading the first Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book lately. After having seen the movie about a dozen times, I decided I should read the book. I'm about halfway through and I love it! The whole book is somewhat of a satyr of human existence. It makes fun of how we all know what we can do to be happier, but most of us are too stubborn to do them. It says that because we're unhappy, we're often unkind to other, but if we'd be nicer, there's a good chance we'd be happier.

My uni gave me hitchhiker's as part of the welcome pack. My dad and sister have read it but I've yet to. Though I must say the small excerpts they've read to me I'm not sure if it's really my sort of book... I don't really go for comedy. I might give it a go one day.

Obiwanabi

BOOK CLUB

Post#9 » 20 Jan 2017 04:27

Books are just in general good things... Educational, Fiction, Historical Fiction, science fiction, fantasy, etcetera etcetera. I don't even have a favorite book! Though if I was tied to a chair and forcefully forced to make a choice, I'd say the best book is the book we write for ourselves.... Quite poetic I know, no autographs please! :P
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

SlayerOfNight

BOOK CLUB

Post#10 » 10 Apr 2017 07:16

I'd like to reccommend chronicles of nick. 13 book series im halfway thru book 1 and loving it. Humorous, relateable, action packed, fantasy, and finally a non romantic book. Everything fantasy these days has too much romance...